> On Nov 22, 2015, at 5:06 PM, Jerry Krinock <je...@ieee.org> wrote:
>

>> On 2015 Nov 22, at 13:12, Alex Hall <mehg...@icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is there something else I have to do, like tell the formatter what order to
>> expect components to be in?
>
> Yes, and more.  You must set the dateFormat property of your date formatter
> exactly.
>
> Documentation of property ‘dateFormat’ refers you to click on the “Date
> Formatting Guide”.  From there, you click on “Date Formatters”.  Once there,
> scroll down to "Use Format Strings to Specify Custom Formats” and what to
> your wondering eyes does appear but a list of links to Unicode Consortium
> standards.  Click on the one for the OS version you are targetting.  Once
> there, read the fine print carefully.  After 20 minutes or so you should have
> it working :)

Thanks! I thought, for some reason, that NSDateFormatters could figure out the
date from any string with the necessary information—I guess I was thinking of
AppleScript.

One follow-up, as I’m looking at all this: is there a reason to use
setDateFormat over templates? The header for NSDateFormatter keeps talking
about template strings, but online, all I see is setDateFormat(“some formatted
string”). I haven’t dug deeply into this yet, so feel free to ignore this
question if it’s quite obvious. I thought I’d ask while I was responding,
before I go back to the docs. Thanks.