> On Nov 22, 2015, at 6:04 PM, Alex Hall <mehg...@icloud.com> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 22, 2015, at 5:06 PM, Jerry Krinock <je...@ieee.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On 2015 Nov 22, at 13:12, Alex Hall <mehg...@icloud.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there something else I have to do, like tell the formatter what order to
>>> expect components to be in?
>>
>> Yes, and more.  You must set the dateFormat property of your date formatter
>> exactly.
>>
>> Documentation of property ‘dateFormat’ refers you to click on the “Date
>> Formatting Guide”.  From there, you click on “Date Formatters”.  Once there,
>> scroll down to "Use Format Strings to Specify Custom Formats” and what to
>> your wondering eyes does appear but a list of links to Unicode Consortium
>> standards.  Click on the one for the OS version you are targetting.  Once
>> there, read the fine print carefully.  After 20 minutes or so you should
>> have it working :)
>
> Thanks! I thought, for some reason, that NSDateFormatters could figure out
> the date from any string with the necessary information—I guess I was
> thinking of AppleScript.
>
> One follow-up, as I’m looking at all this: is there a reason to use
> setDateFormat over templates? The header for NSDateFormatter keeps talking
> about template strings, but online, all I see is setDateFormat(“some
> formatted string”). I haven’t dug deeply into this yet, so feel free to
> ignore this question if it’s quite obvious. I thought I’d ask while I was
> responding, before I go back to the docs. Thanks.

Update: it seems to work. I ended up going with something like:
                //"Sun Nov 22 21:00:39 +0000 2015"
                self.tweetDateToStringDateFormatter.dateFormat = "EEE MMM dd
HH:mm:ss ZZZ yyyy"

and I get a date that appears correct. I'd still be curious to know about
templates, but this works so I won't spend time on it right now. Off to figure
more about table cells. I think this means a bit more with bindings… *shudder*