I really wanted to be able to take advantage of the storyboard editor for many
reasons. Turns out, you can (thanks to Daniel Stenmark for cluing me in).

You just can't drop in a UICollectionViewController (this is a lame weakness).
But you can put in a UIViewController, and drop in a UICollectionView, and then
(once you've wired everything up that doesn't get automatically wired), you can
basically use it as if it were a "proper" UICollectionViewController (that is,
you can create UICollectionViewCells right in the view, something you didn't
used to be able to do).

So, now it's all working.

--
Rick Mann