On Jun 18, 2008, at 14:17, Markus Spoettl wrote:

Exactly and the test data isn't particularly big. Any ideas how to tell the archiver not to do this with my doubles (that doesn't involve conversion to strings and back)?

I suppose you could byte-move each group of 4 doubles in one NSData and give that to the archiver instead. Or do it further upstream and make a bigger array of numbers in a NSData. (But you'll have to deal with endianness and -- egads! -- floating point representation issues across architectures yourself.)

Perhaps you could avoid the endianness and representation issues by archiving each group of 4 doubles (with a different archive object) into a NSData and give that to your main archiver. This sounds like it would be slow, but probably not as slow as what you already tried.

Probably the real answer is that NSKeyedArchiver isn't designed to handle such large numbers of objects efficiently.