On Jun 18, 2008, at 16:31, Markus Spoettl wrote:

I'm not exactly sure about the speed, blocking the UI for 15 seconds isn't the best idea and the real data will be even bigger. So, a cure for NSKeyedArchiver's optimization would be great.

The fastest, easiest approach would be to put your doubles as raw bytes into NSData objects, as Michael Ash suggested.

Endianness should be easy to deal with, since you have the various NSSwap... functions to assist you.

Perhaps floating point representation would not be an issue. It's years since I needed to know, but maybe all current Macs (Intel and PPC) use the same floating point representation for the 'double' type? The documentation, or a knowledgeable lurker, should be able to answer that for you. Or, manually decompose each double into a (56 bit?) integer mantissa and a (8 bit?) integer exponent.