On Jun 18, 2008, at 2:41 PM, Michael Ash wrote:
Although it partially defeats the purpose of using NSCoder, you'll
avoid this whole path if you stuff all four doubles into a single
NSData. Don't forget to use the byte-swapping functions to ensure that
they all have a consistent representation across architectures.

Well, what can I say, you and Quincey Morris are absolutely right. This is the way to go.

The same data set takes just 4 seconds to store with a file size of 17.2MB.

Thanks for all the help guys! For the record I'm posting the code below.

Regards
Markus

- (void)encodeDouble:(double)value forKey:(NSString *)key withCoder: (NSCoder *)encoder
{
    NSSwappedDouble sd = NSSwapHostDoubleToLittle(value);
[encoder encodeBytes:(const uint8_t *)&sd length:sizeof(NSSwappedDouble) forKey:key];
}

- (double)decodeDoubleForKey:(NSString *)key withCoder:(NSCoder *)decoder
{
    double result = 0.0;
    NSUInteger retsize;
NSSwappedDouble *sd = (NSSwappedDouble *)[decoder decodeBytesForKey:key returnedLength:&retsize];
    if (retsize == sizeof(NSSwappedDouble)) {
        result = NSSwapLittleDoubleToHost(*sd);
    }
    return result;