> On 16 Jun 2016, at 3:45 AM, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 14, 2016, at 4:48 PM, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:
>>
>> @property (readonly) BOOL isFoo;
>>
>> or:
>>
>> @property (readonly, getter=isFoo) BOOL      foo;
>
> Are you asking whether it’s better to name a boolean property “foo” or
> “isFoo”?

Yes, but for readonly properties only, where there is no setter.

If the property is ‘isFoo’, then in every situation (such as KVO, or using dot
syntax) I would be using the keypath “isFoo”, and that’s fine, but it’s
inconsistent with other properties that are not readonly, where the underlying
property is ‘foo’, but in some code I’d use ‘isFoo’ and other times I’d just
use ‘foo’. However, if I try and make that consistent, by having the property
‘foo’ and a custom getter ‘isFoo’, then for a readonly property it seems a bit
redundant.

I suppose what I’m really asking is what requires the least parsing by a
developer - if I have a mix of styles, then I’m going to have to check every
one to see whether there’s a custom getter or not. Better would be to stick to
one style or the other, so that given a BOOL property, I know immediately how
to use it without further ado. To that end, I think the second form is the most
consistent, at the expense of some redundancy, but perhaps just naming BOOL
properties ‘isXXX’ sidesteps that question altogether, even for readwrite
properties. I can’t decide what is best practice, hence I asked the question to
see what others’ opinions are.

—Graham