Am 08.08.2016 um 8:12 nachm. schrieb Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com>:

> On Mon, Aug 8, 2016, at 05:11 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:
>>
>>> On Aug 8, 2016, at 2:54 PM, Aaron Tuller <mandelb...@mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> "The following classes and functions are generally not thread-safe. In most
>>> cases, you can use these classes from any thread as long as you use them
>>> from only one thread at a time."
>>
>> The images are only being used on one thread at a time. The problem seems
>> to be that the NSImage _cache_ is shared and (apparently) not
>> thread-safe.
>
> I wouldn’t jump immediately to thread-unsafety. It’s possible that
> Andrew is simply exhausting the thread pool.
>
> Andrew, are you doing anything to limit the amount of decode operations
> you’re putting on the global queue?

Not presently.  Under normal usage, it hovers around 10-40 threads, but I’ve
seen it as high as 200.  Honestly, I was hoping to limit it to 3 or 6 — just
experimentally, one thread by itself can saturate roughly 20-30% of my i7
processor.  If 3-6 simultaneous operations will saturate the whole processor, I
don’t see much value in letting it go much higher than that.

What is the preferred way to limit the number of parallel operations in the
global queue?  I was under the impression from the docs that macOS handles the
thread pool “automatically”.

Thanks,
 - Andrew