>> I was under the impression from the docs that macOS
>> handles the thread pool “automatically”.

GCD’s pool does use a thread per CPU core … but only as long as none of the
operations run for a long time. If its entire thread pool is busy for “a while”
and there are more blocks waiting in the queue, GCD will start to create more
threads to keep up, rather than let the waiting threads starve.

—Jens