> On 9 Aug 2016, at 4:05 AM, Andrew Keller <and...@kellerfarm.com> wrote:
>
> In my app, I’m creating thumbnails of images.  To do this in parallel, I’m
> using the global background dispatch queue:

Just to throw another consideration into the discusion, you don’t say what the
thumbnails are being used for.

Typically you might want to display these to the user to browse a collection of
images. If that’s the case here, then it might be much more performant to
create them only as needed for display, rather than generate a huge batch of
them ahead of time. In other words, when an image thumbnail is required *for
display*, kick off a thread to fetch it (or display the one you have cached
already). This means that first time the user scrolls through the collection,
thumbnails will ‘pop in’ to view as each thread completes, but this effect is
usually easily tolerated. With scroll pre-fetching you might not even see it at
all.

This way your threads are naturally limited by the number of images that are
shown at a time, or scrolled newly into view.

—Graham