Thanks for the reply...

I've tried

[[[self pageScrollView] contentView] setWantsLayer:YES];

This results in a still flipped display, and very badly corrupted, lots of
artifacts etc....

[[self pageScrollView] setWantsLayer:YES];

Nice display, but still flipped.

The transform that used to work before I tried the above line makes no
difference if I set the scrollview to be layer backed.

Any ideas?