I've made a bit of progress on this, it's the right way up now, at the main
layer redraws just fine, however, sublayers disappear when I scroll (they
reappear when you resize the window, as this is presumably triggering a redraw).

I've put a test app here...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/TempStuff/LayerDebug.zip

Which should be useful to anyone who wants to put a layer backed view into a
scrollview, and even more helpful for anyone who wants to tell me how to get
the sublayers to redraw ;-)

Cheers

MT