> On Aug 24, 2016, at 1:23 AM, Jeff Szuhay <j...@szuhay.org> wrote:
>
> I’m using a bunch of layers to draw images to, compose them, and then draw
> into a viewRect
> with
>
>       CGContextDrawLayerInRect( viewContext, viewRect, myLayer);
>
> Of course, I’m trying to pick the most reasonable size for my layers. I
> currently use 1024x1024
> but could easily make them 512x512 or 768x768.
>
> So my question is, “Is is more efficient to draw the layer into a smaller
> viewRect (down-sample)
> or into a larger ViewRect (up-sample)?”
>
> Or does it even matter?

It depends on if quality or performance matters more.

Downsampling is generally more expensive because you have to deal with more
data and so you become more easily bandwidth limited, but at the same time if
you must resample an image, down sampling generally produces better quality.
Upsampling is the opposite of all that.

So if performance matters more than quality, then you probably want to upsample.

--
David Duncan