> On 3 Nov 2016, at 23:05, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>
> The docs for -stringByResolvingSymlinksInPath say that “for absolute paths,
> all symbolic links are guaranteed to be removed.” If it doesn’t actually do
> that, then there’s either a bug in the implementation or a bug in the docs;
> either way, you should file a Radar.

I seem to be remember that the special handling of “/private” paths (not parts)
was documented once.
Maybe there was even a compelling reason given for this quirk.

URLByResolvingAliasFileAtURL does almost the same, has no special behaviour
with “/private”, and even can resolve an alias.
But: only when this alias is the final component of a path.
I.e. /path/aliasToFoo will be resolved to /path/foo; but
/path/aliasToFoo/someFile will not.

Symlinks are resolved in any position.

> (I’m not sure why you need to remove all symlinks, but I’ll assume you have a
> good reason…)

I don’t know whether the reason is good, but I want to compare stuff returned
from FSEventStreams.

Kind regards,

Gerriet.