> On Nov 3, 2016, at 10:39 PM, Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
> On Nov 3, 2016, at 10:08 PM, Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerri...@icloud.com
> <mailto:gerri...@icloud.com>> wrote:
>>
>> URLByResolvingAliasFileAtURL does almost the same, has no special behaviour
>> with “/private”, and even can resolve an alias.
>> But: only when this alias is the final component of a path.
>> I.e. /path/aliasToFoo will be resolved to /path/foo; but
>> /path/aliasToFoo/someFile will not.
>
> Paths "through" alias files make no sense.  Nothing else in the system will
> resolve an alias there, so nothing will ever produce such a path.  If your
> code is producing such paths, you should fix it, because nothing else will be
> able to process them.
>
>>> On 3 Nov 2016, at 23:05, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com
>>> <mailto:j...@mooseyard.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> (I’m not sure why you need to remove all symlinks, but I’ll assume you have
>>> a good reason…)
>>
>> I don’t know whether the reason is good, but I want to compare stuff
>> returned from FSEventStreams.
>
> You should construct NSURL objects from the two paths, use
> -getResourceValue:forKey:error: with the key NSURLFileResourceIdentifierKey
> to get the resource ID for each, and then use [resourceID1
> isEqual:resourceID2] to determine if the two paths refer to the same
> file-system object.

One thing that may be worth mentioning is that file resource identifier keys
apparently use the inode to compare the files, which means that comparing the
file resource identifiers of two hard links that point to the same inode will
return true. This is great if that’s what you want, but if you need to
determine that they represent the same catalog node rather than the same
underlying data, it may not be appropriate.

Charles