> On Nov 3, 2016, at 10:39 PM, Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
> On Nov 3, 2016, at 10:08 PM, Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerri...@icloud.com
> <mailto:gerri...@icloud.com>> wrote:
>>
>> URLByResolvingAliasFileAtURL does almost the same, has no special behaviour
>> with “/private”, and even can resolve an alias.
>> But: only when this alias is the final component of a path.
>> I.e. /path/aliasToFoo will be resolved to /path/foo; but
>> /path/aliasToFoo/someFile will not.
>
> Paths "through" alias files make no sense.  Nothing else in the system will
> resolve an alias there, so nothing will ever produce such a path.  If your
> code is producing such paths, you should fix it, because nothing else will be
> able to process them.

Oh, and it isn’t quite true that *nothing* else on the system will be able to
process paths through an alias; old-style HFS paths separated by the ‘:’
character do resolve through aliases if they go through the old-style Carbon
file manager. You can test this yourself by writing an AppleScript like this:

tell application "Finder"
        get file “Macintosh HD:path:to:someAlias:someFile.txt"
end tell

Replace ‘Macintosh HD’ with your boot disk’s name, and the rest by the
appropriate filenames, and you should get a valid reference to the file.

Charles