There are two concepts I think you are trying to ask in your email.

1. What are notifications?

2. How can you communicate between your iPhone and your watch app?

These are two fundamentally different questions.

Notifications:

Notifications are a way for you to deliver messages of something important to
your user, and have them displayed in the OS - on the lock screen, or on a
watch.  You can se these with notifications that someone has sent you a
Message.  The OS will determine which of your devices actually displays the
message.

Local Notifications allow you as a developer to not have to call a remote
server to deliver a notification to the device your app is currently running
on.  If you have a watch paired to the current device, the notification will
show up on the watch if you are not currently using your iPhone.

The following class allows you to generate Local notifications.
https://developer.apple.com/reference/usernotifications/unnotificationrequest

You might want to spend a bit of time looking over the Apple documentation as
to what Notifications are, and how they work:
https://developer.apple.com/notifications/

Communicate between watchOS, and iPhone:

Use the Watch Connectivity framework to communicate between your WatchKit
extension and iOS app.  This allows you to send data to your companion
application, and receive data from your companion application.  You can see the
basic information about how this works at
https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/content/documentation/General/Conceptual/WatchKitProgrammingGuide/SharingData.html
 .

For class documentation you can reference:

https://developer.apple.com/reference/watchconnectivity

Hope this helps!

Scott