Quincy,

Sandor
> On Jan 3, 2017, at 04:35, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 2, 2017, at 22:16 , Sandor Szatmari <admin.szatmari....@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> There are supported methods using: (works with method 2)
>>    NSString *format = [NSDateFormatter dateFormatFromTemplate:@"j" options:0
>> locale:[NSLocale currentLocale]];
>>    BOOL is24Hour = ([format rangeOfString:@"a"].location == NSNotFound);
>
> Well of course this won’t work in every locale, not even all the
> English-speaking ones, since (IIRC) it’s “AM” in some of them, but I assume
> you’ve breezed right past that small point. :)

Are you suggesting case sensitivity is an issue here?  If so, I don't think so.
 The template returned from this method uses 'a' as a place holder for AM/PM.
e.g. It might return the string 'h a' as it does by default for the English/US
locale on my system, and a is always lower case.  This is described here
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-31/tr35-dates.html#Date_Format_Patterns
 See the 'period' field in the Date Field Symbol Table and section 8.2 for my
justification.

> It seems to me you have two choices. One is to honor the setting for time
> *text* and to use the date formatter result unmodified (which means you might
> get more characters than just the 3 or 4 or 5 that represent the time with a
> possible separator). Or, if your app really is more like a clock, then I’d
> make the 12/24 hr format a setting within the app. As you’ve seen from the
> menu bar clock, there does seem to be a possible distinction between clock
> time format and annotation time. Since you can’t access the menu bar format
> (no public API at least), a one-time app setting seems reasonable.

Yea, I was considering just making it an app local preference but that strikes
me as crude.  Ideally speaking, at best an appropriate preference for my app
could be 'Override System 24 hr time preference' or something akin.

But, I might have to settle for that...