Quincey,

> On Jan 3, 2017, at 14:46, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 3, 2017, at 05:00 , Sandor Szatmari <admin.szatmari....@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Are you suggesting case sensitivity is an issue here?  If so, I don't think
>> so.  The template returned from this method uses 'a' as a place holder for
>> AM/PM.  e.g. It might return the string 'h a' as it does by default for the
>> English/US locale on my system, and a is always lower case.  This is
>> described here
>> http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-31/tr35-dates.html#Date_Format_Patterns
>>  See the 'period' field in the Date Field Symbol Table and section 8.2 for
>> my justification.
>
> I was, but (sorry) that was because I didn’t read your code carefully enough.
>
>> Yea, I was considering just making it an app local preference but that
>> strikes me as crude.  Ideally speaking, at best an appropriate preference
>> for my app could be 'Override System 24 hr time preference' or something
>> akin.
>
> Why can’t be the app preference simply be “Show 24 hr time” and default to
> the locale setting? Which is to say, the same thing you said but without the
> semi-pejorative description.
This discussion has proven very helpful.  Putting it that way makes me feel
like I can satisfy my feeling of ambiguity by adjusting the wording in my
preference panel.  I feel the wording of something like 'Show 24 hr time
according to Locale & Region Setting' works.  Too wordy, I know, but making the
UI self explanatory/teaching is important to me.

> TBH, I think the menu bar clock has an overriding setting only for historical
> reasons. However, it doesn’t seem completely unlikely that a user might want
> the always-visible clock to be different from formatted times. It may be that
> the locale (or bureaucratic policy) might mandate that one format is used for
> dates/times generally, but a specific user might be more comfortable telling
> *time of day* using the opposite convention.
Yea, I vacillated here for a while.  It was the unidirectionally connectedness
of these features that to me implied these features were coupled and yet they
weren't at the same time.  Apple allows this distinction when the Locale &
Region 24 hr checkbox is unchecked (Locale says 12hr/clock can be 12 or 24hr),
but disables the Date & Time checkbox when the Locale & Region checkbox IS
checked (Locale and clock are both 24 hr).

> Similarly and analogously, a user might have reasons for setting the Mac to
> GMT generally, but still want to display local time in the menu bar.

I agree with your examples but Apple has carved out a space where they disallow
a distinction.  I can see why they would be forced to be in sync.  I can see
why they would be allowed to be independent.  I cannot reason why it is
implemented as it is.

Thanks,
Sandor