Gary,

> On Jan 3, 2017, at 18:40, Gary L. Wade <garyw...@desisoftsystems.com> wrote:
>
> What I’m getting at is how relevant is it to your app that you know if and
> where the time-of-day indicators exist in addition to the 24-hour setting.
> Answering those questions should be what determines your next steps.
> As mentioned, the alarm clock has a long history on the Mac whereas the
> Unicode underpinnings for these locale settings are "relatively recent.”  If
> all you care about is putting out a time, try using localizedStringFromDate:….
All I ever display is hours and minutes for the purposes of this app.  This is
the simple part.  It was deciding whether or not to display 24 or 12 hour time
which was at question.

> If you absolutely have to have full control over the format string, unless
> the user wants a change, always use the system settings, and model your
> override UI after that provided in the system preferences.
Yea, I thought about duplicating the system's UI, but I find it hard to decide
to emulate something I think could be better.  But, it might be the most
consistent experience for the user.

>  If you’re wanting even greater details, try looking for IBM’s ICU test pages;
Great suggestion, thanks!

Sandor