I'm working on using encodeRestorableState/restoreStateWithCoder to save
and restore the state of a window. (I'm doing this manually because I want
to explicitly save my window state in the document and not just rely on the
OS restoring its state as part of restoring the application state.)

The problem I'm having is that when it restores, an error is logged in the
console that it can't restore the first responder because the view in
question has its window set to nil.

I tried calling makeFirstResponder(nil) before encoding, but then the
window is its own first responder and an exception is thrown because it
can't encode itself.

I'm doing this from my window controller's windowDidLoad. Doing it in
awakeFromNib didn't make a difference.

So is there a way I can either prevent the window from saving/restoring the
first responder, or ensure that the first responder view is installed in
the window first?