I am explicitly calling encodeRestorableState (in windowWillClose) and
restoreStateWithCoder
(in windowDidLoad), storing and reading the data to/from a file myself. I
know those are normally used as part of the automatic app state
restoration, but I want to restore a window's state regardless of whether
it was open when the application last quit.

I'm using encode/restoreState because it's an existing mechanism that seems
to suit my needs, and aside from this first responder thing it's working
fine.

Also, I'm assuming - though I haven't tested this yet and the docs don't
say - that the window state restoration will take into account changes in
the monitor configuration, ensuring that the window is restored to a
location that is still on screen. If there's a better way to do that I'm
open to it.