> On Jul 4, 2018, at 20:40 , Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
> On Jul 4, 2018, at 9:08 PM, Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm writing a new macOS app. I started with the document-based app template
>> (no core data). I have a custom window controller, and a hierarchy of custom
>> NSViewControllers embedded in a split view controller (I even subclassed the
>> split view controller).
>>
>> I have a simple IBAction method that logs a debugging message, and I try to
>> send that action from a menu item to the first responder. I want to
>> implement that method in one of my view controllers, but it never seems to
>> get called. I've tried adding the method to every view controller, the
>> window controller, and the app delegate, but it never gets called. However,
>> if I connect the menu item to the app delegate, it gets called.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Is one of your views actually the first responder?  Does the window have key
> or main status?  By default, it wouldn't be able to become key or main if it
> doesn't have a title bar and isn't resizable.  Is there a view that accepts
> first responder (has overridden -acceptsFirstResponder to return YES)?  (Of
> course, certain standard controls like NSTextField accept first responder
> without you having to subclass them.)

I've overridden -acceptsFirstResponder to return true on the window controller
and view controllers. I don't have any custom views in the window yet, just an
SCNView and a slider.

This begins to touch on another issue I'm not satisfied with: if I have
multiple NSViewControllers (say, in a split view), and I want them all to
respond to (different) menu commands, there seems to be no way to do that
directly, by sending command to the first responder, right?

> I assume you're running macOS 10.10 or newer.  If not, you would have to take
> special steps to include those controllers in the responder.

Yes, 10.13.5

--
Rick Mann
rm...@latencyzero.com