On Jul 4, 2018, at 10:45 PM, Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> wrote:

> I've overridden -acceptsFirstResponder to return true on the window
> controller and view controllers.

That doesn't do anything.  -acceptsFirstResponder is a view method and is only
called on views, not controllers.

> I don't have any custom views in the window yet, just an SCNView and a slider.

I don't know if SCNView accepts first responder by default.  You may need to
use a subclass that overrides -acceptsFirstResponder.

A slider would only accept first responder if System Preferences > Keyboard >
Shortcuts > Full Keyboard Access is set to All Controls.

> This begins to touch on another issue I'm not satisfied with: if I have
> multiple NSViewControllers (say, in a split view), and I want them all to
> respond to (different) menu commands, there seems to be no way to do that
> directly, by sending command to the first responder, right?

Correct.  That's not an appropriate case for targeting the action at the first
responder.  You would either target the views directly or implement the action
methods in a superview or its controller and have that dispatch things from
there.  You could implement some general scheme that searches the descendant
views for one which responds and send it there.  Or perhaps have the descendant
views register their interest in a specific action method with the controller.

Regards,
Ken