Hello All,

I have a question about releasing a major update and new version of an app
that's already on the Mac App Store (MAS). The new version is to be a paid
upgrade, which I know the MAS doesn't really support.

Other developers use the strategy of releasing a separate app with a new name,
eg: if the existing app is called "Foo Bar" then "Foo Bar 2" is a brand new app
listing on the MAS. That way users must pay full price to buy the app again,
and effectively pay for the upgrade. So far so good.

To be a new app listing on the MAS, the new app needs a new bundle identifier,
correct? So if the original Foo Bar had an identifier like
com.mycompany.foobar, then Foo Bar 2 would use something like
com.mycompany.foobar2. The problem is then that sandboxing will prevent Foo Bar
2 from accessing setting and user data from the original Foo Bar. That's not a
great experience for existing users.

Is there any to obtain access to prior app settings? I know when an app is
originally sandboxed you can do a container migration, but that doesn't appear
to apply here. I could ask users to manually choose the old app's container in
an open folder dialog, to obtain access, but that seems like a kludge. Does
anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for any advice or ideas!

~Martin Wierschin