"older OS versions", porting to 10.6 or later vs. 10.10 or later:

I at first intended all the drivers I write for my clients to work on
Snow Leopard 10.6, but after actually attempting to do so I settled
upon supporting El Capitan 10.11, sometimes just Sierra 12.6.

There are some occasional but quite serious problems with new APIs
appearing during a minor release so you can't just set your Deployment
Target to a major release's first drop.  To get drivers to build - and
I expect Cocoa code as well - one must take _great_ care to check
Apple's doc for most if not all of your API calls to determine when
they first appeared.

For one particular client's USB function driver we actually had three
kernel extensions.  I at first planned to package this in just one
kext bundle but because of time pressure shipped them as three
separate ones.

Two of the drivers had Deployment Targets of 10.12, the third 10.11.
I had some manner of good reason for doing it this way, but I've just
been up all night nosediving deeply into Wikipedia and all manner of
Epic Talk Page Flame Wars so just now I'm too thrashed to actually
remember what it was.

Mike Crawford
Portland Custom Software Development
http://soggywizards.com
m...@soggywizards.com

One Must Not Trifle With Wizards For It Makes Us Soggy And Hard To Light