On 18 Aug 2018, at 20:45, Mike Crawford <mdcrawf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "older OS versions", porting to 10.6 or later vs. 10.10 or later:
>
> I at first intended all the drivers I write for my clients to work on
> Snow Leopard 10.6, but after actually attempting to do so I settled
> upon supporting El Capitan 10.11, sometimes just Sierra 12.6.

Slightly off topic, but drivers are definitely the worst case, as sometimes you
need to use the old SDKs to build them, and the Xcode team is, in my view,
somewhat overenthusiastic about dropping support for them… the Deployment
Target setting isn’t always sufficient. I do wonder, actually, how much thought
is given to those of us who have KEXTs to build when pondering whether or not
to drop an SDK from Xcode. There have been some other pain points in recent
macOS versions relating to KEXTs also (changes to driver signing, the recent
blocking of third-party KEXTs until the user visits System Preferences to
confirm their installation, etc.). One would almost think Apple didn’t want us
writing low-level code…

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--