> On Aug 18, 2018, at 11:19 AM, Stephane Sudre <dev.iceb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It might be the new Carbon once:
>
> - there is ABI stability in Swift. This could be not before late 2019.
>
> - the new APIs are only available in Swift. Is Swift NIO a hint this
> is coming sooner than expected?

By “NIO” do you mean the new Network.framework? They did only demo the Swift
API at WWDC, but it has a full C API too. (Which makes sense, since part of its
goal is to drag C developers away from the POSIX sockets API.)

> I don't know. I don't use networking frameworks.

You should consider adopting one at some point. There are several benefits they
provide that aren’t available with POSIX APIs, like faster connection startup,
and transparently switching between WiFi and cellular. (Stuart Cheshire’s
various WWDC talks go into detail.)

—Jens