On 18. Sep 2018, at 19:25, Alastair Houghton <alast...@alastairs-place.net>
wrote:
> Well, Cocoa has Distributed Objects, which you could use for this purpose.
> DO has some interesting behaviour (in particular, watch out - it can throw
> exceptions, even when calling methods that don’t normally do so), but it does
> let you send messages to objects fairly easily over a network.

From what I remember, DO also has some very ... interesting behaviour when it
comes to time-outs, and predictable timing, as well as dropped connections.
Basically, it mostly assumes a stable, near-instant network, and there's no
good way to recover from a dropped network, and no control over how long it
will take to recover from stalls etc. either.

In short, DO is intended for small LANs, so if you're planning to use it over
the internet ... don't.

If you need a fairly painless way for network communication, I'd suggest
creating your own mechanism on top of queues of message objects and keyed, or
better secure, archiving. You can always model things after XPC, with the same
method names etc.

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de