> On Oct 23, 2018, at 02:56, Uli Kusterer <witness.of.teacht...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> On 18. Sep 2018, at 19:25, Alastair Houghton <alast...@alastairs-place.net>
>> wrote:
>> Well, Cocoa has Distributed Objects, which you could use for this purpose.
>> DO has some interesting behaviour (in particular, watch out - it can throw
>> exceptions, even when calling methods that don’t normally do so), but it
>> does let you send messages to objects fairly easily over a network.
>
> From what I remember, DO also has some very ... interesting behaviour when it
> comes to time-outs, and predictable timing, as well as dropped connections.
> Basically, it mostly assumes a stable, near-instant network, and there's no
> good way to recover from a dropped network, and no control over how long it
> will take to recover from stalls etc. either.
>
> In short, DO is intended for small LANs, so if you're planning to use it over
> the internet ... don't.

Thanks, yes, I agree.  DO should only be considered for LAN operations.  Apt
descriptions of its limitations and implementation restrictions.  We have had
several 24/7 systems running, synchronized via DO since forever.  It is very
reliable when done right.  If not, it can be a mess.

> If you need a fairly painless way for network communication, I'd suggest
> creating your own mechanism on top of queues of message objects and keyed, or
> better secure, archiving. You can always model things after XPC, with the
> same method names etc.

This will, again, be for a controlled environment (local LAN).  Not sure what
direction I’ll go at this point, but at least with the feedback I’ve gotten I
can design something knowing I am not overlooking a newly introduced macOS
native inter-machine RPC technology.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Sandor