> On May 15, 2019, at 8:07 AM, Glenn L. Austin <gl...@austinsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Actually, the screw ups are on those software developers who write their code
> based upon SDK behavior, not documentation. Yes, Apple sometimes makes
> mistakes, but more often the "mistake" is that Apple fixed a bug (isn't that
> what an "unintended side-effect" is?) that a software developer depended upon
> to "save time" or "do something clever."

Audio software seems more prone to OS compatibility issues than regular stuff.
I think that’s because it’s dependent on a lot of tricky things like
multithreading with real-time requirements (no dropouts!), USB drivers, etc.
There’s also the way that Apple’s audio APIs (esp the lower level ones like
AudioUnits) are very complex and under-documented.

I’ve been building an audio app off and on since 2005(!) that I use myself.
I’ve always wanted to release it commercially, but it’s never quite stable
enough, and OS upgrades often seem to destabilize it.

That said, I think Vojtek is speaking for a minority of audio users. There are
certainly many musicians working with the latest versions of Ableton Live,
Reaktor, Reason, etc.

—Jens