>> Again, why does cross-platform code need to have references to
platform-specific view/controller types?

There are links between each Cocoa control class and its matching C++
control (which also owns a native MFC control).
Also links between the view and our C++ controller, to load window layouts
and set up the control links.
A couple utility links for showing progress bars, log window, etc.

Running a business is complicated: there are about 150 different window
layouts in our app.
Payroll alone needs 15-- employee hours, tax tables, vacations, holidays,
benefits, tax agencies etc etc.
Most have some quirks- fields enable/disable or change from % to $, totals
update, values get posted elsewhere, etc.

Writing generic code to still use our C++ controller classes and window
layouts was much easier than
building and testing 150 NSViewControllers.  It took a month or 2.  A full
rewrite would have been
a year, plus many new bugs, plus two separate code bases to maintain.

Casey McDermott
www.SmartKnives.com