On Feb 22, 2020, at 9:02 AM, Gabriel Zachmann via Cocoa-dev
<cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:

>> No, the default on recent Macs is scaled to slightly under 2x.
>>

> It is about ~ 1.7 .
>
> this means that every view has to be scaled by this odd factor, before
> writing its contents into the frame buffer.
> I am curious as to why that doesn't cause any aliasing artefacts, or
> anti-aliasing artefacts ...

For Retina displays, the backing store's size is always 2x the size in points
that Cocoa reports.  The backing store is then scaled to the display's physical
resolution.

Also, even if though the default point-size-to-display-physical-pixels used to
be 2x, remember that other scaling was always supported.  The fact that the
default has changed doesn't introduce a *new* problem.  Apple always had to
have a solution for this.

Regards,
Ken