> Does it make sense that starting at 1.7 gives you a 0.3 headroom for ‘zoom’
> without having to upsample?

You mean the accessibility zoom?
No, it does not make sense to me.
First of all, I can zoom in much more, so why waste 0.3 headroom although most
people don't even know about it?
Second, when you zoom in, you can clearly see anti-aliasing artefacts.

I don't know when this started, I have not checked before Catalina.

I was always under the impression that the backing store is 2x the size of the
display.
That should be then 2x( 2880 x 1800 ), i.e., 5760 x 3600 , shouldn't it?

So, either the frameRect should be 2880x1800  or 5760 x 3600 , both would make
sense to me.

Best regards, Gabriel