> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 14:24:40 +0100
> From: Gabriel Zachmann <z...@cs.uni-bremen.de <mailto:z...@cs.uni-bremen.de>>
> To: "cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com <mailto:cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>"
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com <mailto:cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com>>
> Subject: Confusion about screen resolution
>
> When my screensaver gets invoked by the screensaver engine, it calls
> - (id) initWithFrame: (NSRect) frameRect isPreview: (BOOL) preview
>
> Funny thing is, when I print the frameRect to the log, I get  1680 x 1050.
> But my laptop screen really has 2880 x 1800!  (That's what I get from "About
> this Mac")
>
> I am running under Catalina 10.15.3.
>

> Can any one please shed some light on this?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
> Gab.

Gab,

I think you are confusing pixels and points.

A pixel is an addressable light-emitting area on the screen. Your screen
contains 2880 X 1800 pixels.

But a typographical  point is a unit of distance. There are 27 points per inch.
(I.e., a typographical point is 0.0139 inches or 0.353 mm).

Recalling that screen sizes are measured diagonally, the diagonal of a 1680pt
X 1050pt rectangle is 1981pt (or 27 inches). I conclude that your Mac has a
27-inch screen at a resolution of 123 X 123 px/in.

Cheers,

Rick Aurbach
8233 Tulane Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132