Gabriel

> On Apr 3, 2021, at 10:55, Gabriel Zachmann <z...@cs.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
>

>>> [ [NSUserDefaults userDefaultsWithName:@"monitor-name"] boolForKey:@"some
>>> key"]
>>
>> I thought -addSuiteNamed: would allow you to maintain/add a suite of
>> defaults for each monitor.
>
> Maybe.
>
> The doc says:
>
> """
> The suiteName domain is similar to a bundle identifier string, but isn't
> necessarily tied to a particular application or bundle. A suite can be used
> to hold preferences that are shared between multiple applications
> """
>
> So, I think, it is meant for app groups.

App groups, I believe, were introduced in 10.7.   The -addSuiteNamed: API has
been around since 10.0.

> What I don't get is this sentence in the doc:
>
> "The additional search lists of the suiteName domain are searched after the
> current domain..."
I believe that just means that your app’s Domain is searched first, and any
common keys would mask out keys in your suite.

> And I'd rather understand exactly what my code is doing than guessing what it
> might do.

Doesn’t seem mysterious… and would allow you to maintain a suite for each
monitor type which could be loaded and unloaded as you detect the presence of a
monitor, or based on which monitor your app is running on.  As long as your
suite keys had a prefix they’d never collide with keys in you app’s main
defaults domain.

Best Regards, Sandor