hey,
I have a project that uses Bonjour for some of its communication, theres a server and a client, and I was having tremendous difficulty getting it to work, pouring and pouring over my code, only to discover some weeks later that for some odd reason, NSConnections do not work when the project is set to support or require garbage collection.

As a test I set garbage collection to: Unsupported, and the app compiled, and the NSConnection returned the proxy object as expected. But the app obviously failed to do much else, because I had no retain, release, or autorelease method calls.

I am not a lazy person, but I am a novice programmer, and the retain, release, autorelease stuff in cocoa is horrible. I was very happy when garbage collection was added to Cocoa, and my projects became much easier to develop, and maintain. Now however, I find myself with a project riddled with memory problems that did Not exist just a few days ago, and as far as I can tell, I don't have any choice... My app either gives up Bonjour, or I have to retrofit the whole thing to manage its own memory with a system that is, lets face it, poorly envisioned.

can anybody shed any light on this? am I really stuck managing the memory myself? This is intolerable.

cheers,
-eblu