Hi Chris,
I'm not terribly sure what you are asking for here. From my experience (limited experience admittedly) theres really only one way to use NSConnection. its a pretty elegant class, which is simple, and works as expected, except for when garbage collection is enabled.

heres what I do just after NSNetService finds a service:

// Sent when a service appears
- (void)netServiceBrowser:(NSNetServiceBrowser *)browser
        didFindService:(NSNetService *)aNetService
        moreComing:(BOOL)moreComing
{
        NSMutableDictionary* newDict = [[NSMutableDictionary alloc] init];
        [newDict setValue:aNetService forKey:@"theService"];

        [serverArrayController addObject:newDict];
        [aNetService setDelegate:self];
        [aNetService resolveWithTimeout:5];
    if(!moreComing)
    {

// NSNetService Delegate method:
- (void)netServiceDidResolveAddress:(NSNetService *)sender{

        id proxy = nil;
        NSData *addy;
        NSSocketPort* socket;
        NSConnection* connection;
        NSString* hostname;

        int a;
        int i;

        hostname = [sender hostName];
socket = (NSSocketPort*)[[NSSocketPortNameServer sharedInstance] portForName:@"BKOtherPort" host:hostname]; connection = [NSConnection connectionWithReceivePort: nil sendPort: socket];
        @try{
                proxy = [connection rootProxy];
        }
        @catch(id exception){
                proxy = nil;

        }
        addy = [socket address];
        if(proxy){
                        // app level stuff if the proxy exists

pretty straight forward,
and every time I ran it with garbage collection on, the NSConnection initialized, but NEVER returned the proxy. it returned nil. all my instance variables were populated, everything on My end was correct... or at least behaving as expected. it just wouldn't return the proxy object (or the root for that matter)
All I did to fix it, was to turn off garbage collection.
That part runs like a champ now. the rest of the app won't do anything anymore, as it was built on garbage collection.

cheers,
-eb