> But that isn't what the OP asked. The OP asks *how* to do it without
> AppleScript - not *whether* to do it without AppleScript. Furthermore, the
> OP is right that running an AppleScript from within Cocoa/Objective-C is
> noticeably slower than going thru CoreAudio. m.

  Actually, the OP said, "running an applescript from code seems to be
a rather clunky approach". Nothing about it being 'noticeably slower'.
I've not compared the two directly but I notice no pause whatsoever
with a button wired to a "create and run a 'mute volume' AppleScript"
method run on my first revision MBP.

  Regardless, I wasn't suggesting he not use CoreAudio, merely that
there's nothing inherently wrong with using AS if all you want to do
is a one-off toggle of mute/unmute. Does it *really* have to happen in
under 5 nanoseconds when 5 milliseconds is practically imperceptible
as it is?

  All I'm saying (and I'll keep saying it) is that in this situation,
AS works just fine.

--
I.S.