On Jul 8, 2008, at 8:18 AM, Matt Gough wrote:
To be fair to the OP, if his app really is going to try to warn me of impending injury or potential loss of life then I think it is silly to argue that he shouldn't turn the sound up as loud as it can go and start telling me to run. I think you too (or at least your family) would be glad of such a thing too. However, I suspect he wants to turn the sound up for something far less important in the grand scheme of things, so probably shouldn't do it.

Jason, can you tell us what is so important that the user must know immediately?

I don't understand the requirement here. If the user is looking at their screen, then surely a visual alert in a big floating window would be more than enough? If the user might not be looking at their computer, then why assume they're within earshot at all? For life-and- death applications, I would think playing a sound would be a pretty weak form of notification; you'd need to page the user, leave a phone message, IM them, etc. (and possibly notify more than one party).

Someone mentioned the possibility that the user has hearing problems. I suppose another posibility is that this software is specifically for *blind* users; but only the OP can say.

--Andy