Graham Cox wrote:

> I need a way to commit ... pending edits
> as part of my response to the "Apply" button.

I don't know that this is "the correct way," but there is a built-in mechanism
that will do what you want:

If you were to makeFirstResponder nil for the window containing the text field,
the textDidEndEditing method would be called on the active text field and then
its data could be saved normally.

You'd lose the edit state of course, but if you're applying changes I'm
guessing that would be OK.

HTH,
Joel