I'm trying to create a Mail-style scroll view, with a view for information (like the view for message headers) above a text view for the content. I created two NSViews in Interface Builder, changed the class of the bottom one to NSTextView, selected both, and clicked Layout > Embed Objects In > Scroll View.

This all works (it puts the views inside a scroll view), but the NSTextView doesn't play well with the scroll view when it increases in size, and when the scroll view changes size. When the text view increases in size, instead of just getting longer by a line, it gets longer and moves down, and the scroll view doesn't enable the scrollbar. If I shrink the scroll view by means of resizing the window (and I do have the autosizing set properly), the text view moves up erratically, and doesn't move back down when I increase the window size again.

Everything works just fine when I create an NSTextView and embed it in a scroll view without another view alongside... because the NSTextView itself becomes the scroll view's "document view".

So... what's the right way to go about doing this? Should I even try to be putting 2 views in a scroll view for the effect I'm aiming for? Thanks in advance.