I am subclassing CALayer, and overriding -drawInContext: to perform my drawing.

I'm noticing that whenever my -drawInContext gets called (in response to calling -setNeedsDisplay) that there appears to be an actual animated fade-out / fade-in of of the old content and the new content.

I do not see this transition effect documented anywhere, so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Or, if this is the correct behavior, how do I turn it off?

It's really quite an eye-catching effect, but it's not desirable in this particular case; I need the layer content to show up immediately.

I've got several instances of my CALayer subclass as sublayers of an NSView with -setWantsLayer:YES.

The reason I subclass CALayer is merely as a convenience. I pass off drawing to a C++ object, and rather than create an objective C proxy which delegates drawing from a CALayer which it owns, I collapsed it into a subclass. But if this is the culprit, I'll go ahead w/ the proxy object.

Thanks in advance,

Joe K.