On Jul 31, 2008, at 11:07 AM, Jens Alfke wrote:

The content of a layer is an animatable property, so by default, changing the content will do a crossfade. It seems that applies to custom content (drawn by -drawInContext:) as well as the "content" property.

There are a couple ways to suppress animations. You can use the CAContext API to disable all animations while you make your changes, or you can use the layer's "actions" dictionary to override the animation for the content transition.

Thanks!

I tried the following which seems to work. I'm not sure if it's the approved way or not:

- (id<CAAction>)actionForKey:(NSString *)event
{
        if ([event isEqualToString:@"contents"])
                return nil;
        return [super actionForKey:event];
}

(there was some mention of returning [NSNull null] to terminate further searching, but it just crashed when I did that)

Joe K.