I feel I can nearly grasp what I need to do, but not quite. I know what I shouldn't be doing--which is what I am doing and I feel I'm a little in the weeds. I seek a nudge in the right direction if someone can help.

I have a master-detail setup with a normal table displaying a list of orders. Below it is my subclass of NSView which draws a tree diagram of the selected order and its descendent order steps, each of which might have its own descendants. In fact, here it is:
http://special-lite.com/satellite/Picture%204.png

I am forcing the view to update after a change to one of the order step objects in what I am sure is The Wrong Way™ by basically chucking setNeedsDisplay into areas of my code such as the contextual menu handling code, etc. This works great for GUI-driven changes even though it's wrong, but it falls apart of course when changes occur due to Applescript.

What I think I understand that I need is that when an object belonging to the current selection of the table is modified, that a controller is notified and it tells the view to update. Or perhaps I can programmatically bind the view to the table's selection.

I think I could maybe (maybe!) figure out how do this for the order (the table's selection), but I am totally lost as to how I would do it for the order's great-grandchildren order steps.

If someone could give me a short breakdown of the idea of how to do it, I will happily go read hours of documentation and examples to learn the details.