On Aug 22, 2008, at 12:18 PM, Paul Bruneau wrote:

Yes I think we agree on that part! The problem I am trying to communicate is where do I learn to make my model changes go through a controller, and how do I teach this controller to know to update the other views? As I said, I think I could get my way through this if the properties were in the order objects, but they can be in the children of the children of the order objects.

To learn about the Model-View-Controller design pattern, read the Cocoa Fundamentals Guide <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/ Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaFundamentals/>. That will also tell you about some types of controllers and their roles ("coordinating controller" vs. "mediating controller").

In there you will also find a discussion of ways to communicate among objects (the "Communicating With Objects" chapter). Notifications have already been mentioned. Key-value Observing (KVO) and Bindings may also serve your needs. Implementing Bindings on a custom view sounds like it would be a bit advanced for where you are, but it might be a long-term goal.

After you've familiarized yourself with the fundamentals in this guide, follow the links it contains to the other, more topic-specific guides:

Key-Value Coding Programming Guide <http://developer.apple.com/ documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/KeyValueCoding/> Key-Value Observing Programming Guide <http://developer.apple.com/ documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/KeyValueObserving/> Cocoa Bindings Programming Topics <http://developer.apple.com/ documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaBindings/>

Feel free to ask more questions about what you find there.

Cheers,
Ken