Hi, I'm working on a preferences panel. I want to build a compound
panel like the kind seen in most mainstream apps today: a toolbar on
top with "tabbed" view switching. The panel changes its appearance
depending on which 32x32 toolbar icon you have selected.

I'm not sure where to start. Looking for examples, I've looked in
Safari's app bundle resources dir, and I see that Safari uses separate
nibs per preferences tab.  When I open one of these nibs, I see a
window object, and that window object has the preference tab's layout.
 Pretty straightforward. Of course, Safari is not open source, so I
can't go any further and see how this design works.

Looking at the source for Transmission, I see they've taken a
different approach, which is to have one PrefsWindow.xib, and in that
xib, a number of View objects, one for each tab. Open the view object
representing a particular preference tab, and you see its layout. I
have not studied the Transmission source yet to see how they make it
all work.

So we have at least 2 accepted ways of doing the tabbed preference
panel thing. But I'd like a better understanding of the hows and why's
overall. Can anyone point me to some Cocoa programming guide docs, or
programming topics docs, on tabbed preference panels? (Are they even
called "tabbed preference panels?")

Thanks,
-s