On 11 Sep 2008, at 4:29 pm, Georg Seifert wrote:

That what exactly what I was looking after. I think it would be not to strange in the context where it occurs in my app.

The normal selection behavior is for selecting the active layer in my view. The additional checkbox should allow to blend in/out the other layers.

I couldn’t think of a better/more intuitive way to achieve this.

To implement this, I just thought about using a tableview in the popup menu. There we have very similar behavior. You have a selection and checkboxes. And clicking the checkboxes does not change the selection.

I'd suggest using a table view in a floating panel. The selection sets the active layer, and checkboxes are supported and expected. A menu for this is really just trying to implement a pop-up table, which is, err, unorthodox, to say the least. If the user is in the habit of using the click-drag-release method of using menus, your interface just won't work for them - they will see no obvious way to check the boxes. Your design requires a certain behaviour that not everyone makes use of, and in fact wasn't even possible until system 7.something (that was a while ago I know).

hth,