On Sep 15, 2008, at 3:13 PM, Dave Dribin wrote:

Hello,

Is it safe to use -[NSApplication targetForAction:] with non-action selectors? For example, selectors that have more than one argument, non-id first argument, or return values?

The documentation for targetForAction:to:from: seems to imply it just does a respondsToSelector: on each object in the responder chain, and it seems to behave this way in my tests. I'd just like to make sure it is safe to rely on this behavior, or if we should find some other approach.

I'd say it's not safe, since the documentation doesn't make any promises about working correctly with a non-action selector, and thus your code might break with some future OS version. It wouldn't be that hard to write your own method that would just do a respondsToSelector: on each object in the responder chain, and then you'd know *exactly* what the method is doing. This is what I'd recommend.

Charles