On 16 Sep 2008, at 9:51 am, Dave Dribin wrote:

I've got, say, an info panel that needs to display different stuff based on some object in the responder chain. What I really want to do is search the responder chain for an object that conforms to a specific protocol. I was just picking a method in the protocol as the argument to targetForAction:. I think the "safe" way is to put a dummy "marker" action on the protocol and then search the responder chain for that action. Then, check the target to make sure it actually conforms to the protocol.

I think you have this a bit backwards, possibly.

You still have to get notified when the first responder changes in order to tell your info panel to reorganise itself, so why not use that notification to directly obtain the correct target? Objects that can be displayed by your info panel will send a notification that they have become active, sending themselves as the notifier. The info panel receives that notification and so already has the desired target. It then just needs to check what protocols or methods the notifier responds to and set up its UI accordingly.

I believe this is the conventional approach to inspectors and the like.

hth,

Graham